Thursday, July 11, 2013

Data Analysis & Visualization

Wow, there are a heck of a lot of online programs and software to help you make a table or graph.  I really liked Gapminder.  The site gives you hundreds of combinations to set up a graph on your own, or use information already made available.  The fact that the data tables are interactive allows you to see change from one year to the next a little easier, and it is a lot more entertaining to watch, making it more likely for your students to pay attention and remember the information your trying to present. At the end of this paragraph is a link on my web page of a Gapminder interactive data table for the math achievement of 8th graders per country based on income from 1995 - 20007.
 8th grade achievement
information from www.gapminder.org

I also liked the word clouds.  I was a little more familiar with them and know exactly how I would start to use them, at least until I became more comfortable and creative with them.  Looking through the assessment course, I planned to use Socrative to get a better understanding of how my students were grasping concepts during and after a lesson.  I also was going to use Socrative to have students list out problem numbers from the homework so that I could get an idea of which problems most students struggled with, and it cuts down on having to raise your hand in class and "feel stupid" because you couldn't figure out a problem.  The point is that a word cloud would also help me out because the more the problem number appears, the bigger it would appear.  Not really the best use, but for now it is what I will do to get used to word clouds.  I also added a link at the end of this paragraph to a Popplet mind map.  I set up a list of all of the math teachers in the high school and made a map of what classes they teach.   It is a very basic mind map, but I could see how it would be helpful for any sort of flow chart design.
List of Teachers and Classes They Teach 

I can see where infographics would be great for a Statistics class.  I think of that class right away because of all of the data analysis that they do.  Algebra II also does some data analysis in its statistics section, but not nearly as much.  Overall, I picked up some good uses and more tools to enhance my teaching.  Like a lot of other things I have picked up with these courses, I will use them sparingly, until I get more confident with everything.  And like a lot of the other classes, I still have a lot more to look at and into when it comes to data analysis and visualization.

No comments:

Post a Comment